Friday, November 12, 2010

Meet our stallholders -Simon and Ruby


We are excited to present to you the first of our stallholders for next Sunday (yes that's right! the 21st it's coming up quickly now!)

Please welcome Lindsay -The creative genius behind Simon and Ruby Jewelery.

1) Can you tell us a little about yourself?
 
I grew up a couple of hundred miles south of Nashville, but at this point in my life I feel more at home than I ever have. I’ve always thought of myself as a creative thinker, but I’ve finally found my true passion. Between my Jewelry design and my photography, I found myself. My little corner of the world includes my very patient, musician husband, my two children (cats) Matisse and Oz, and a dozen or so incredibly supportive friends. I tend to collect hobbies, watch too many movies, and read too many books. I would rather travel than do most other things (as long as I have my camera.) I have a Jewelry Line: Simon and Ruby, a photography business, Lindsay Farrer Photography (
www.lindsayfarrer.com), and a collection of paintings inspired by stained glass windows.

2) Have you always loved to create?
 
I have been painting and stringing beads and buttons since I was very young. Both my grandmother and my great grandmother were seamstresses, so some of my earliest memories are of sitting with jars of buttons and beads spread around me, playing and combining colors that I liked. My uncle is an artist and he convinced my parents to let me start painting lessons when I was 7. I adored mixing color and pattern, leaning towards a more abstract look at life. The days of painting, playing with beads, and helping my family work with stained glass definitely formed my current creative life. I’ll have to thank my family for that.

3) What is the creative process like for you?
I generally have an idea of design or an inspiration piece to get me started. In fact, my Winter Collection was completely inspired by photos, postcards, and the fashions of the 1920’s. After I get the initial burst of inspiration, it can be a little bit chaotic, but a lot of fun. My friends are horrified at my method, but its what works. My beads are all divided out in little clear bags and I tend to spread them around me and start picking out beads. At this point, I’m buried in beads and it is impossible to see the table (or sofa.)

4) Where can we currently buy your creations?
 
At this exact moment, you can find my jewelry on
www.simonandruby.com, www.simonandruby.etsy.com
Or locally in Nashville at: Bloom Flowers and Gifts on Dallas Avenue
and Laurel Leaf Gallery in Leiper’s Fork, TN.
I have a few more things in the works so, soon it will be available in a few more spots!

5) We love the name of your business, why did you choose it?
My great grandmother was Ruby, and Simon was her first love. When you think of Simon and Ruby jewelry, I want you to get swept away by the feeling of first love, the magic and the spark behind it. I love the idea that a piece of art can romance you with its story, through color, texture, and style. Simon and Ruby is about the marriage of interesting design, textural elements and unexpected color. Each design is named after a woman, whether it is a beloved character, a dear friend, or a beautiful stranger, and I hope to communicate their tales.

6) Where do you get inspiration from?
 
I definitely draw upon my past for the broad picture, but my individual designs are influenced heavily by characters I read about, the cultures of places I have traveled, characters in the movies I watch, and color schemes in photographs that I love. I’m endlessly inspired by the world around me. The next several collections I’ve planned are all influenced by my recent travels. Spring will bring us both the mountainous regions of the area surrounding Lake Atitlan in Guatemala and the dusty, warm city of Antigua. I really can’t wait to get started creating!

7) What is your favorite blog?
Design Sponge or Scoutie Girl would be tied for first. Scoutie Girl nurtures the creative business side of me and Design Sponge inspires me visually. I get SG sent to my mailbox daily, so I always reserve my morning break to read and be motivated to act. Tara (Scoutie Girl) challenges my views and makes me jump outside of my comfort zone to live a more fulfilled creative life. Her words and beliefs have been a great influence and created the spark to get me moving.

8) and just for fun, what is your favorite picture book?
This might sound ridiculous, but I have 2, one from my childhood and one more current. Mo Willems writes children’s books starring a pigeon and I cannot get enough of it. I love the simplicity of his design and the fun stories he weaves. Dr. Seuss….well, you really can’t go wrong. “Marvin K Mooney, Will you Please go now” has always been my go –to children’s book. For some reason, it reminds me of my more stubborn moments.




Thanks Lindsay, we look forward to seeing you on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment