Thursday, November 18, 2010

Meet our Stallholders- Gayla Edwards Pottery




Can you tell us a little about yourself?
    I grew up in the sunny state of Florida but have called Tennessee home since 1991, where I've raised 3 children.   My husband and I now have a home on a hilltop in Bell Buckle.  My education is in Interior Design but since 1997 have been enjoying working with clay - wheel throwing and handbuilding.  Since then I've been learning photography and welding.


Have you always loved to create? 
   Yes, I have.  Although I don't remember drawing them, my mother has drawings from when I was 3 of cartoon characters.  What I really remember is melting crayon shavings in between waxed paper.  I loved seeing them melt and swirl.  And this is going to date me but I remember when the Spirograph was really popular and I could be entertained with that for hours.  
   I had a great childhood also in that I got to spend summers with my two grandmothers that sewed, crocheted, knitted, cooked and gardened.  You just don't get much better that!



What is the creative process like for you?
    For my clay projects, I like to work with sketches first.  I work better if I have a direction to work in when I start a project  with the clay.  It may evolve into something different as I move along with a particular design but it helps me to have ideas to work from.  


Where can we currently buy your creations?
    I'm currently working to set up an online store.  Currently, I work with special orders.

What is the story behind your business name?
    This is also in the works, but for now it's Gayla Edwards. 


where do you get inspiration from?
    I'm inspired sometimes by the craziest things! (or so it may seem to others)  I love textures, patterns, detail, parts of wholes, and juxtapositions of old and new, nature and manmade.  One of my favorite places right now is the local recycling center, such visual greatness to be had there.  It is the inspiration for my photography and my metal sculptures.  
    

What is your favorite blog?
   I am a blog junkie!  I love reading and seeing what other people are doing in their corner of the world.  
   I frequent:  please sir, K.I.D. Collective (I enjoy her mixed tapes), TED Ideas Worth Spreading, and lizzywherever (my daughter's blog)



and just for fun, what is your favorite picture book?
    Mo Willems'  Don't Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus! just can't get enough of that cute little guy!

1 comment:

  1. have what looks like a lid to a pot or jar beautifully crafted wich seems to be two angels on top. On the inside lid there is engraving in cursive gayla any help would be greatly appreciated my email is briangallagher18@yahoo.com thank you

    ReplyDelete